This has been a pretty productive week, in spite of the rain.
With the wall in place we could now set up the 3-ply LVL beam on the roof ridge.
The only problem was that our ridge beam on hand was 27 feet. So with a couple of pieces of left over LVL which I cut down to the 11-7/8 inch height I did a diagonal splice which we glued and screwed and then let dry overnight. See how this added an extra foot to the beam.
We staggered the three beams putting a full beam end next to the two spliced end and then gave it extra nails. When I ran this creative solution past our beam engineer, he said he had never seen this done before, but in actual fact just one of the three LVL's could carry that outside TGI since it only cantilevered one foot past the bearing point.
"A Flash of Light."