Sunday, October 21, 2018

Thankfulness Challenge Week Two

I am thankful for the peaceful view that we have from our deck.


Several mornings this past week we had low clouds in the valley. After the sunrise it was not very long before they lifted. I am thankful for a perfect week of sunny days.


Tuesday afternoon could not have been a more pleasant October afternoon to golf. The view here on the 6th green at Pinnacle has the famous Layer Cake Mountain in the background.  Along with my shadow selfie, is Kevin, Marvyn and Bill.  I am always thankful for an afternoon with Mr. Green.


As I was preparing the advertising for "LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE" I was thankful to find a good picture on Facebook of Dr. Sid Kettner.  It was an answer to prayer when Dr. Sid agreed to set aside the time to come to help our little church in Winfield.


Angelo Nugent, our associate pastor hated to have his picture taken, but when we finally got it done, what a difference. We are so thankful to have him as a part of our team.


We may be a little ambitions with the idea to make Tee Shirts for the event, but the response to the slogan "LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE," has been most encouraging.  I am most thankful how we stumbled onto the theme of the series from an old tee shirt the Pastor Josue had from "Let's move Vancouver."


On the back of the tee shirt we have put a list of the "Eight Doctors." In my first job after graduation from PUC with a degree in Commercial Art, I was hired by Dr. Mervyn Hardinge, Dean of the School of Health at Loma Linda University.  We worked for several years developing these "Eight Doctors" into ten-minute short film strips. This was in the early 70's, long  before VHS videos.

I remember Dr. Hardinge saying that one day medical science will endorse the the counsel the Ellen White advocated in the book Ministry of Healing. Now today we can all see that he was right.

"Pure air, sunlight, abstemiousness, rest, exercise, proper diet, the use of water, trust in divine power -these are the true remedies. Every person should have a knowledge of natures remedial agencies and how to apply them.”  MH p. 127 

Many times I have expressed my thankfulness as I looked back at the life changing opportunity to work at Loma Linda in my first job after college. I believe that throughout my life God has opened and closed doors, giving opportunities to do things for Him.


It was great to walk again on the Rail Trail at the end of the afternoon.  What a pleasant October day.  On this exact date in 1962 Shirley and I had our first date at CUC in 11th grade.


It was 56 years ago this evening on a Saturday night, October 20, 1962, that Shirley and I spent our first "date" together. We were involved in a progressive party and we both remember several of the stops as we moved around the campus from one house to another all evening.

Over the course of one's life we make many decisions... some are good decisions and some are bad decisions... but I am most thankful for the decision to spend my life with Shirley. 




1 comment:

  1. well, I'm pretty thankful for that prog party too! ha ha..

    ReplyDelete