Sunday, October 28, 2018

Thankfulness Challenge Week Three

Last week started with an anniversary of my first date with Shirley 56 years ago.


On October 20, 1962 at CUC on a Saturday night entertainment, we spent our first evening together in a progressive party on the campus. We were both in 11th grade.  All the students met in the chapel to divide into groups of about 20 kids. I made sure to gravitate into the group where Shirley was. We were both 15 at the time... and I thought she was incredible! I am very thankful for the beginning of a most amazing relationship.


A plumber I am not, but I was thankful for the encouragement of a plumber friend who loaned some of his tools... a crimper and pipe cutter, etc. and instructed me how to do this little renovation project. We are putting a shower into the church. Not a difficult job for a plumber who does this kind of work every day... but a real challenge for some one who hasn't done it before.


I learned how to use Sharkbite fittings to connect pex pipe to copper lines. It took us a couple trips to the both Ace and Home Depot to finally get the right parts. 


Working in a dirty cramped crawl space is not fun. Could not have done it without the help of Norm Chabot.  Here Norm is putting teflon tape onto the clean-out plug that we had to remove to make the tie into the sewer main. We worked for more than three days (part days), and believe me, we were both very thankful to get this job done.   We were most thankful to pass the water test without a leak. 


We got the shower valve installed into the new wall we built, and the first coat of mud is on the drywall. This week I will tackle the tile job. I was hoping to find some tile guys who work of us to do this, but they are swamped, so I will do it. I know how to do it.


October 24 was Shirley's birthday. This was the first formal photo that she gave me in 12th grade. It is one of my most treasured memories. I am thankful for my sweetheart. 


I worked this week on some graphics and quotes to update the bulletin boards in the fellowship room where Dr. Sid Kettner and pastor Angelo Nugent will be doing our mini series, LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE. I am thankful to be able to work on the evangelism team and help with the advertising materials, tee shirts and signage. On Friday November 2 the meetings will be under way.


No comments:

Post a Comment