I'm sick as a dog and just hate it! This flu is ugly.
When I start to cough and can't stop it feels like I could throw up all my insides!
I hardly ever get sick... but I take full responsibility for it. It is my fault.
And I am beginning to see how far I have drifted so far off a healthy course. Today I am starting a three day cleansing diet to purge the toxins out of my body. Shirley just went to the store for fresh rich green vegetables, parsley, broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, celery and such.
The good that has come out of all this grief is I have watched a couple of really good documentaries about food on Netflix. Here is a trailer to Hungry For Change... a film by James Colquhoun and Laurentine ten Bosch. It impacted us so much we watched it twice... and the second time I took notes. Another similar film we watched is "Vegucated." They both helped us.
Here are 13 quotes from "Hungry For Change."
1. "One-third of all women and one-quarter of all men in the USA are on a diet." -Colorado University
2. "More than 60 billion is spent each year on diet and weight loss products in the US." Market Data Report
3. "Food marketers lie to you... they tell you their foods will make you sexy and skinny and cool... but in reality you are going to be obese and miserable and sick."
4. "Up to two-thirds of those on a diet will regain more weight than when they started."
Diets are built with failure in them. What we need is to reprogram our mind to a new lifestyle and know how some of the processed foods we have been eating are like poison to us.
5. "Sugar is the cocaine of the food world."
6. "We need to realize that sugar is a drug just like Heroin." -Dr. Christine Northrup
7. "When you see the high content of sugar in most kids cereals you might just as well roll up your kids sleeve and shoot in the heroin... because it is the same." --Dr. Christine Northrup
8. "Fat free usually means loaded with sugar."
9. "It is not fat that makes you fat. It is sugar that makes you fat."
10. "If you are upset don't eat." (Good luck with that one!)
11. "Sleep more. Exercise more. Laugh more." written on a post it note.
(I learned if stress is costing you sleep you can gain gain two pounds in retained water. So I am going to focus on sleeping more. I guess three hours a night is not enough.)
12. "Whatever you hold in your mind on a consistent basis is exactly what you will experience in your life." -Anthony Robbins This is about visualizing what you want to look like. And there is a great part of the movie that deals with "Food and Beauty."
13. "I am by nature a dealer in words, and words are the most powerful drug known to humanity." -Rudyard Kipling 1865- 1936
When Shirley read my list she was quick to remind me of Mark Twain's famous quote...
"Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
To see more Thursday 13 click here.