Sunday, January 17, 2010

To Twitter or Not to Twitter


I welcome any thoughts on why I should sign up for twitter. Like what am I missing? Here on Mayne Island life is so peaceful. There are 900 people who live on this island... there were more people in Costco last time I shopped there. We can go for days and not see another person except Shirley. When we drive to the ferry invariably we see more deer along the road than people or cars. Maybe I need to Twitter a little... and get a new addiction.

Q. Who has the most followers on Twitter:

A. Currently, Ashton Kutcher has the most followers... I heard like 1.6 million... pretty crazy, eh? But he better watch out. I just started my new blog and already have 2 followers in the first week! I think it is going to snowball... maybe like a snowball in Death Valley on a summer day!

Here is a link to 33 wonderful (so-so) pictures of twitter addiction:


Worthless Thoughts

My daughter helped me download several new apps onto my I-Phone over Christmas and the Bible app is one of my favourites. For free I downloaded five different translations of the Bible, and I enjoy reading it in bed. If I wake up in the night I can read several chapters until I get drowsy.

This last week I stumbled across an interesting fact of "twittering" in scripture. Did you even know that the word twitter was in the Bible? I have no idea how many of Hezekiah’s friends were into twittering, but in Isaiah 38:14 it says that Hezekiah twittered. He wasn't feeling very good one day and thought he was going to die. It says,

"Like a swallow, like a crane, I twitter." NAS Bible

Long story short, Hezekiah didn't die right away... God answered his prayer and granted him 15 more years so he could really mess things up.

New Business Idea

I've been a little slow to get into twittering. I'm still learning email. Maybe twittering is more for the younger generations. But I came up with a new idea to develop a similar social networking venue for us old timers... we could call it Muttering. It would be more like what we do most of the time... muttering... repeating ourselves. We say the same things over and over again. With Muttering we could have the illusion that we are reaching more people just like us and muttering to each other. And if it was a real success maybe Google would buy the Muttering Company for a gazillion dollars so they could sell advertising on it. With the growing elderly population it could really be a smash!


Between the rain this week, we have been blessed with sunshine and very mild temperatures. This sunset was the perfect ending to a wonderful day.

“I KNOW THE WHOLE TRUTH”

One day a classmate told little Timmy that most adults have at least one dark secret and that they can be easily blackmailed simply by saying, "I know the whole truth." Timmy decided to try it out. He went home and when his mother greeted him, he frowned and said, "I know the whole truth." His mother quickly handed him $20 and said, "Just don't tell your father!"

This worked so well for Timmy that he decided to see what he could get from his father. When his father got home, Timmy greeted him at the door and said, "I know the whole truth." His father promptly handed him $50 and said, "Please don't tell your mother!"

Very pleased, Timmy headed out the door to school the next day when he ran into the mailman. He greeted the mailman with his new phrase, "I know the whole truth."

The mailman dropped his mail, opened his arms, and said, "Then come give your daddy a big hug.”

Sometimes Humour Teaches

A Sunday school teacher decided to have her young class memorize one of the most quoted passages in the Bible, Psalm 23. She gave the youngsters a month to learn the scripture. Little Rick was excited about the task - but he just couldn't remember the whole Psalm. After much practice, he could barely get past the first line. Then came the day that the kids were scheduled to recite the 23rd Psalm in front of the congregation. When it was his turn, Rick stepped up to the microphone and said proudly,

"The Lord is my Shepherd, and that's all I need to know."


My Grandson's First Joke

I remember the first time Seth came to visit and he announced he had a joke to tell his Grandpa. He had been hearing me tell jokes long enough, now at almost four years old he was ready to throw his hat into the ring with a joke that he could share. So here it is:

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.

Which brought my response,

Q. Why do blind people not sky dive?

A.
It's too scary for their dog.

Then that reminded me of the blind man who went into a grocery store. With his dog on the leash he was swinging his dog around his head in a big circle.

The store manager came over to him and told him to stop. "What do you think you are doing?" he asked.

"I'm just taking a look around."


Do you know the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Wishing you all a good week.
This week will be a travel week as we plan to drive to Tucson.
I leave you with the classic blessing of Moses in Numbers 6:24-26.

"The Lord bless you and protect you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace."

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. I read your blog using an RSS reader, but I "followed" you as well, bringing your number to three. "I'm number three! I'm number three!"

    Btw, I check the twitter verse. I think you have the pronoun wrong, "Like a swallow, like a crane, so I twitter." http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isa%2038:14&version=NASB Regardless, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice the photo of follower no. 2!!!
    Keep on keeping on, dear Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to give Twitter a whirl, just to see. When you head up our way in March, we'll experiment... it's fun, and you can access a lot of information there, it's not JUST about mindless sharing, though there's some of that too... who knows, Twitter could get you hundreds of followers for your blog... just sayin'! xo

    ReplyDelete